Tuesday, April 14, 2009

12:01

FRIDAY:
Every year on Good Friday the Catholic church across the street puts together a commemoration of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ by re-enacting the event. I've lived here for 3 years and this was the first year i caught the spectacle. It was a low budget yet heartfelt affair. Members of the congregation made the mile hike around the hilly neighborhood while "Jesus" was whipped by Romans, and a pickup truck with speakers jimmy rigged onto it blared dramatic 'Passions of the Christ-esque' instrumental music. I watched the whole thing from the roof of my building. Some of my neighbors came up too and it was truly an opportunity for togetherness and reflection, mostly because we all complained about what slumlords our landlords are and how all of us have issues with water pressure. Irregardless, leave it to Jesus to unite the village.

SATURDAY:
On Saturday night/Sunday morning at 12:01 i poured myself my first beer in almost 50 days. I took special care to frost the glass and chill the beer. It was like Christmas, my birthday, and PROM nite all rolled into one. the anticipation was palpable. Then as i brought the ice cold glass to my lips and took my first sip i realized that it was exactly like Christmas, my birthday and PROM nite; totally and utterly overrated... the anticipation far exceeded the actual excitement of the event. I don't quite know what i expected. I've tasted beer before so i did not expect it to make me drunk at first sip, but i expected it to taste better, to be more refreshing. It was bitter, and made my tummy ache. i can say with all honestly that it was a little disappointing.

I must confess that as Lent was coming to an end i began to worry about drinking again. It was such a relief to drive around at any hour of the day and not worry about getting pinched by some flat-foot. It was nice to save money that would have otherwise been squandered at countless bars. AND best of all, it was wonderful to learn that i can hang out with my man and have as much; if not more, fun with him than i did when we drank together. (don't get me wrong, he's my favorite drinking buddy. Now he is my favorite sober buddy too!)

SUNDAY:
Lazy Sunday went off without a hitch. The day was on Indian time. (for you non speakers suspecting that i am politically incorrect[i am], but i implore you to hear me out. I dig the idea of Indian time, getting there when you get there, being more ONE with the universe and going with the flow rather than being bound by the annoying restrictions of TIME: minutes, hours, micromanaged seconds...) at least on Sundays. The usual suspects started trickling in and the feasting began. We stocked the fridge with beer and fired up the grill. My brother made a cameo and assumed the role of alpha male by manning the grill: topless. When i asked him to put his shirt back on he replied, "sun's out, guns out". He bombarded the guests with a litany of racist epithets, and kept touching the carne asada with his fingers which he wiped on a blue bandanna he pulled out of his back pocket. For years i would make myself crazy trying to control him, trying to get him to act right and not embarrass me. It has taken me a long time to realize that although i love my brother and care for his welfare, i am not responsible for what he says nor what he does, and therefore i should not feel guilt nor shame at his shenanigans.

Overall it was a beautiful day that was not hot even though the sun shone bright, and was breezy without being windy. The lesson from this years exercise in self discipline was very valuable. I learned that i did not love drinking booze as much as i thought i did and i learned that i love my brother just the way he is, shirtless and asking for a to-go plate.

P.S. if you ever stop eating meat for any extended period of time, its not a good idea to gorge yourself of flank steaks right out of the gates.