Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Waiting for the Bus

The craziest thing happened on the way to Hell today. I was on the Commuter Express 549 bus and the driver was yucking it up with some passenger about her weekend encounter with a man who had "tendencies"; which I think was her way of inferring that the man was a homosexual, when her dispatcher called her and asked her for the approximate time she made a specific stop. Apparently, she blew past a bunch of people waiting at her last stop before she got onto the freeway. So what's the big deal? There is nothing crazy nor remarkable about a bus driver NOT stopping to pick you up. What was astounding was her reaction. She pulled over on the side of the freeway and began to question the passengers on whether or not we recalled her making that last stop and demanded we provide written statements. She then told her dispatcher that she would go back to pick up the stranded would be passengers. I could not resist. I said out loud, "what's the big deal? This is not the first time someone missed a bus. Bus drivers have left me more times than I can count." I have had to run in the rain along side a speeding bus frantically flailing my arms only to be splashed by the speeding tires plowing through enormous puddles. I have been ignored at dark posts waiting late night for the very last bus, only to have to walk home the 2 mile route. I was completely baffled by both the reaction of the driver and dispatcher. Why just the other day, the MTA driver of bus #6748 violently maneuvered through rain slicked streets, carelessly talking loudly on his bluetooth, "...nigga, that bitch came over to my house..." Absolutely fascinating.