Friday, February 12, 2010

Buffaro Rings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup soy sauce
6 cloves of crushed, diced garlic
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup hot sauce
3 tablespoons of butter
salt & pepper
4lbs. of chicken wings

I wanted to make some hot wings for the Superbowl party I would be attending but after brain-farting while at the market and forgetting to buy the key ingredient for classic wings (Frank's RedHot sauce), I decided to MacGyver some wings with the stuff I had in my fridge. After a search of the web I found a lot of recipes with good ideas, but not one recipe that was good enough. So I used my basic math knowledge and applied the old rule of "averages": a little Mean, a little Median, a little Mode later I had my recipe for Oriental style hot wings.
1.) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2.) I thawed and washed the wings and placed them on a Pyrex baking dish. Sprinkled them with a little bit of sea salt (soy sauce is hella salty so I did not want to use too much salt), some black pepper and the fresh garlic. I baked the wings for about 45 minutes uncovered. (To be completely honest I did not time it exactly, but those wings saw about an hour of oven time altogether.) When they had achieved a nice golden color and were cooked thoroughly, I drained all the fat and saved it for later use in my fantastic fat powered space car. I placed the wings back in the oven to stay warm and to get a little crunchy while I mixed up the other ingredients.
3.) In a large bowl I mixed the dark mushroom soy sauce, lemon juice, honey and Huy Fong chili garlic hot sauce (I really like garlic). I debated using the butter because all the recipes I found online included a stick or so of butter. I figured the honey would act like a glue limiting the need for the butter but I did not want to risk it flavor wise. So I compromised by adding 3 tablespoons into the mixture. (I did not pre-melt the butter because the whole thing would be getting more oven time.)
4.) I poured the wings into the large bowl and tossed/folded together. Then I placed the wings back onto the Pyrex and poured the entire mixture over them and baked for 10 minutes.
5.) Take out, pour into serving dish, share and enjoy.
I'm no iron chef, but these got devoured and not only by me. These bitches were spot on, in fact they can stand to be a little more spicy. Next time, Sriracha your services will be requested!