Saturday, June 19, 2010

Fun Guy

****I know, it seems remarkably trivial to review nail polish. To spend money on nail polish even. All I can say is that we all have our vices. For some its magazines, or Starbucks coffees, or fast food, going to the movies or dub sacks. I don't do any of those things. I cut corners and make sacrifices to buy the little things that make me happy. Besides what good is it to be a filthy American if I can't indulge in rampant consumerism every now and again?****

This past winter after catching a glimpse of the latest Chanel color, 'Particuliere' I was smitten. However, previous experience with Chanel nail polish prevented me from going to Nordies and plopping down 25 bucks for this delightfully fungal shade. Instead I began the search for the perfect mushroom hue. OPI had a contender, 'you don't know jacques' but I could only find it in a matte finish. Sephora's 'Metro Chic' came close except like Chanel, Sephora's polishes chip easily. The following are not all quite as brownish and mushroom-like as the particuliere but 2 come close.

Essie: Playa del Platinum
This could not be less brown. It is however a refreshing shade of grey.


Rimmel: Steel Grey
This shade comes as close to the desired color that I was attempting to duplicate. It does have a hint of purple though. Its long lasting, dries quick, not too expensive. Great buy. Rimmel?!?! I know.


Essie: Chinchilly
I wanted this color long before I bought the Rimmel. When I got fired I walked past the beauty store that was the scene of many of my crimes (i bought, never stole). I wanted a brown polish to match my mood but found this one. It's a perfect shade of gray and given my mental state at the time its purchase was imminent. Besides who knows when I will be able to indulge and buy more nail polish now that I am unemployed?

STAY TUNED. I already have my eye on this fetching MUST HAVE Essie Fall 2010 four-piece mini set. With shade names like Merino Cool, Limited Addiction, Little Brown Dress and Sew Psyched, its enough to start digging through trash cans and start recycling!!!