Wednesday, August 25, 2010

$40 my ass

In the August issue of 'Los Angeles' magazine a profile of shops located on Hollywood Blvd-(East) features a do-it-yourself store called Fresh Pressed where for $40 you can silkscreen a design on a t-shirt. That's pretty cool except for around the same price you can buy a silkscreen kit at Blicks. Plus, I don't like going to Hollywood AND as my mother used to say, "I'm not shitting money". However, since I like the idea and there IS a t-shirt I have always wanted that is only sold at the Leftorium, I decided to give the whole venture a try; lefty lowbrow style.
***
I drew out the letters, and my baby-bro cut out the stencil. (an x-acto knife makes this task easier) We picked up some Tulip fabric spray paints and double sided tape from Michaels. The whole thing cost about $14 bucks. I already had the V-neck shirt, part of a pack I bought at Target a while back.

1.) Place double sided tape on the stencil and tape it onto the t-shirt. Lay flat and spray the 'black diamond' paint.














2.) An hour later spray the sapphire paint.














3.) We let that shit dry for about an hour then I removed the stencil. I could have done a better job taping the stencil to the shirt and spraying the paint but I am very happy with the outcome. The satisfaction of a job well done earned from a long awaited honest day's labor of love is priceless.