Monday, August 23, 2010

nowhere woman

Last week 'yahoo' profiled this broad who reconstructs ugly fat ladies clothes and chronicles her journey in a blog titled, "new dress a day". The idea of refashioning 365 dresses using 365 dollars in 365 days is essentially inspired from the "Julie&Julia project". Encouraged by the free-time afforded to her through her recent lay-off she has taken ugly dresses and fashioned for herself, a closet full of new clothes, quasi fame and notoriety and a sense of renewed purpose through creative self expression.

It has been 2 months to the day since I got shit canned and I have nothing to show for myself. Blinded by anger and feelings of resentment it has been hard for me to avoid falling into a funk. I sleep till noon, write only occasionally and I have yet to find a job OR even reduced the clutter that envelops my life. I lay awake at night thinking about some magical get rich quick scheme, mulling over job options, pressing my eyes tightly hoping the winning lotto numbers will flash across my lids, as I tell myself that tomorrow is a new day for me to figure things out. Except tomorrow becomes today and today quickly turns into yesterday and I am no steps closer to finding my place in the universe.

My goal is far less ambitious than that of the bargain seamstress. I don't want to become the next blogging sensation, or have a movie made of my life. But I would like to capitalize on my new found freedom as she has. For four years I slaved away at a job I hated and like some damaged animal I have spent the last 2 months lamenting its death. But now it's time for me to fuck the shit out of this precious free time I have been blessed with. By reading Celine, making those cupcakes from scratch, bedazzling my sunglasses, or maybe even finishing that gray corduroy skirt I started 10 years ago. Fuck it, maybe I will take the train somewhere, anywhere. Why the fuck not, I'm free!