Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Rummy

For my Mister's birthday I made some Irish Car bomb cupcakes. I found 2 websites with recipes that varied slightly. [cupcakerehab.com & bigcitycooking.blogspot.com] Since this was my first time making these and it was a special occasion I decided to reserve my usual shenanigans of selectively following the script for another time. I settled for cupcakerehab's recipe overall because it was an easier recipe to follow: less steps, it called for less butter and a whole bottle of Guinness rather than just a cup.


GUINNESS STOUT CUPCAKES

¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch fine salt
1 bottle stout beer (recommended: Guinness)
1 stick butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
¾ cup sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
In another medium mixing bowl, combine the stout, melted butter, and vanilla. Beat in eggs, 1 at time. Mix in sour cream until thoroughly combined and smooth. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.

Divide the batter equally between muffin tins, filling each ¾ full. Bake for about 12 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake another 12 to 13 minutes until risen, nicely domed, and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out.

***
Both recipes had virtually the same instructions for the frosting. I used less confectioners sugar, 2 cups, one stick of butter and I used way more Baileys than the recommend 4 tablespoons.

BAILEYS FROSTING
source: cupcakerehab.com

3 to 4 c. confectioners sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 to 4 tbsp Baileys

***
The filling was a challenge. I tried to be true to the (Big City) recipe but it was not working. The "Ganache Filling" called for 8 oz bittersweet chocolate. I left that out. Maybe that was what ruined the texture for me? I used the 2/3 c. heavy cream 2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp Jameson Whiskey but ended up having to add a cup of confectioners sugar to thicken the filling. (C.C. Rehab) had a much easier recipe for the "glaze". Just Jameson and confectioners sugar. That is where I got the idea to add sugar to the mix to thicken it. Next time I will do less cream, and maybe then less sugar. I ended up with leftover filling.



JAMESON FILLING
Adapted from: bigcitycooking.blogspot.com and cupcakerehab.com

2/3 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
2 tsp Jameson Whiskey
1 cup confectioners sugar

Overall I was really happy with the outcome. The cupcakes were moist but not too sweet which is great because the filling and frosting are. I need a better tool to cut the hole into the cupcakes and another recipe for the Jameson cream-filling would be nice too. Birthday Panda loved them and I loved making them.